Serious injuries can change the lives of you or a loved one in an instant. Many catastrophic injuries such as paralysis, brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries prevent victims from working or in some cases, caring for themselves.
In situations where the injury is the result of an accident caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another party or parties, it may be possible to recover financial compensation for things like medical expenses (current and future), lost income or loss of ability to work (current and future), and physical and emotional pain and suffering through a personal injury claim.
At The Law Office of Fredson Statmore Bitterman, our team of attorneys has extensive experience assisting clients throughout New Jersey with their catastrophic injury claims. The inability to work can be frustrating and lead to a feeling of helplessness. Allow us to work on your behalf to help secure your family’s future by recovering compensation for personal injury, lost wages, essential expenses, and physical and emotional pain and suffering.
Call our office today to discuss your individual needs and concerns when it comes to your case in a free and confidential consultation with a Bloomfield catastrophic injury lawyer.
Common Types of Catastrophic Harm
A catastrophic injury is defined as any illness, injury, or medical condition which cannot be reasonably expected to improve over time. This may prevent an individual from ever being able to work again. Here are some common types of catastrophic injuries that our Bloomfield attorneys handle claims for:.
- Back and spinal injuries – the most common disability in the U.S. is some form of spinal injury. This may have been the result of being overworked due to poor regulations or poor management, or due to a catastrophic event such as an auto accident or construction accident.
- Neurological or brain injuries – traumatic brain injuries may take the form of an injurious accident or be the result of exposure to dangerous or toxic chemicals resulting in headaches, seizures or other complications
- Paralysis – the inability to feel or move an extremity can certainly prevent individuals from returning to work. There are many forms of paralysis, and severe cases are permanent and irreversible. In many cases, severe paralysis was caused by a single injurious incident.
Securing Financial Compensation for a Catastrophic Injury
In general, there are two potential avenues to compensation for the victim of some kind of permanent or serious injury. The first is through a social security claim which has specific requirements, considerations, and compensation levels. To learn more, you can view the Social Security Administration website here.
On the other hand, if your injuries are due to the reckless or negligent behavior of another party, you may instead wish to work with our Bloomfield catastrophic injury attorneys and file a claim. A successful injury claim will recover financial compensation for present and future damages, as well as damages for thing like loss of enjoyment of life and physical and emotional pain and suffering, something that a workers’ compensation claim or social security claim will not account for.
Damages Available for Serious Injuries
Our Bloomfield attorneys will work with you to ensure you are covered for the following expenses after a catastrophic injury.
- Medical Bills – this determination may require the use of expert testimony to determine a fair and reasonable amount. A lifetime of continuing medical expenses which are the direct or indirect result of your injury is hard to quantify, but it is a necessary step in order to ensure you are not settling for less than what is needed and deserved
- Lost Wages – this may seem straightforward, but again we are calculating lost wages for a lifetime of missed work, which may include considerations for inflation, career trajectory, and many other complicating factors
- Personal Care and Essential Expenses – it stands to reason that individuals who are permanently disabled may also need assistance with every day activities such as driving, grocery shopping, laundry, and housekeeping. These costs may be covered by your permanent disability personal injury claim
- Personal Pain and Suffering – often the portion of a personal injury claim for which victims recover the most compensation. In order for our attorneys to get you a fair and reasonable settlement, we must fully understand what you have endured both physically and mentally
Contact Our Bloomfield Catastrophic Injury Attorneys Today
At The Law Office of Fredson Statmore Bitterman, we have over 50 years experience helping clients throughout New Jersey area to recover the compensation they need and deserve for injuries or conditions leading to permanent disability.
Our personal injury team is led by a New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Civil Trial Attorney, an honor earned by only 2% of active NJ lawyers. With millions of dollars already recovered for our clients, we are ready to put our legal knowledge, trial skills, and training to work for you today.
To speak with our Bloomfield catastrophic injury lawyers today in a free and confidential consultation, please contact us online, or call today. All cases are taken on contingency, and if your injuries prevent you from meeting with us in our office, we are happy to come to you.