I Got Hurt In Jersey.com
Schedule a Free Consultation
(973) 777-8600

When a person is injured on another person’s or businesses’ property, many times the injured party may be able to file a premises liability claim in order to recover compensation for their damages like medical expenses, lost income, and physical and emotional pain and suffering.

However, when those same kinds of injuries occur on government property such as the Post Office or at the Motor Vehicle Division, the process for filing, and ultimately succeeding with a premises liability claim is much different than if the claim is being filed against a private owner or institution.

If you have sustained injuries on government property in Bloomfield, either State or Federal, call our office today to discuss your unique needs and concerns when it comes to how you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries.

Filing Government Property Injury Claims

New Jersey law requires that you file a notice of claim within 90 days of your accident if it took place on government property. This is in stark contrast to the usual two year statute of limitations that applies to most other types of personal injury claims. It is recommended that this notice be sent via certified mail so that you can be assured of its delivery.

However, before submitting this notice of claim, it is highly recommended that you speak with our attorneys to discuss the particulars of your case, and gain a better understanding of the process.

After submitting your notice of claim, the government will launch a formal investigation into your accident. As can be expected with the government, this may be a slow-moving, tedious process. However, by filing your initial claim, you maintain your legal right to sue at a later date.

For example, section 3e: “State the negligence or wrongful acts of the state agency and state employees which caused your damages”. This is the primary basis of your claim. Premises liability negligence can be a complicated legal matter. Allow our experienced team of attorneys to assist you with your initial notice of claim filing so that you can reach a successful conclusion down the road after being injured on government property in Bloomfield

Differences Between Government Property Claims and Private Property Claims

Filing a claim against the US government or New Jersey state government is an entirely different process than filing a standard injury claim. It is important to reiterate that you have only 90 days to file your initial notice of claim. If that deadline is not met, you will forfeit your right to recover compensation for your injury sustained on government property in Bloomfield. Government agencies also have specific laws used to protect them from liability which can be found in the Federal Tort Claims Act or the New Jersey Tort Claims Act.

The government has the right to delay your lawsuit a maximum of six months after your notice of claim was filed. During this review period, the government will likely request additional information and you are required to respond promptly and truthfully for your claim to remain valid. There are also explicitly stated limitations for what the government can and cannot be held liable.

Individuals may be held liable in cases taking place on government property “if it is established that his conduct was outside the scope of his employment, or constituted a crime, actual fraud, actual malice or willful misconduct”. In other words, if a government employee acting with purposeful negligence or recklessness led to your injury on government property, you may have a claim against that individual.

Recommend Next Steps

Beyond what we have discussed above, visiting a doctor after your Bloomfield government property accident is always recommended for several reasons. Many injuries sustained in accidents are not immediately obvious, some of which may lead to permanent damage if not treated quickly. You will also have the added advantage of having a doctor’s diagnosis of your injury for legal reasons. The longer you wait to confirm your diagnosis, the weaker your case becomes as it may be argued that your injury or condition was unrelated to your accident on government property.

Do not sign any documents without speaking to your attorney. This is best practice in all legal matters, but particularly when filing a personal injury claim with the government. Again, this includes the initial notice of claim which needs to be filled out effectively in order for your claim to gain traction. Future inquiries and contacts with the government should all go through your attorney as well to ensure you are covered.

Contact an Attorney After Being Injured on Government Property in Bloomfield

At The Law Office of Fredson & Statmore, our attorneys have over 50 years experience helping clients across the area to successfully recover compensation in injury lawsuits of all kinds, including government premises liability claims.

To speak with our firm today in a free and confidential consultation after sustaining injures on government property in Bloomfield, call today.