Injured on the Job? Here’s What You Need to Know
If you get seriously injured at work, there are a number of things you can do to make sure you get the support you need. One of the most important of those might end up being hiring a personal injury attorney. If you are in New Jersey and are in need of a personal injury lawyer due to a work-related injury, contact Fredson Statmore Bitterman LLC to schedule your free consultation today.
When You Get Hurt…
Working in construction, driving a forklift, a crane, and many other types of jobs can be dangerous. When an injury occurs due to dangerous conditions, faulty equipment, security negligence, or known endangerments, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. When you get seriously hurt on the job, it is important to do the following as soon as possible after the injury:
- Get medical treatment. The first and most important thing you need to do if you get injured is to go to the hospital.
- Tell your supervisor. Your supervisor needs to know that you have been injured in writing. If you do not inform them in writing within 30 days, you may lose the right to receive workers’ compensation.
- File for workers’ compensation. If you have lost time due to being injured on the job, you may qualify to receive workers’ compensation.
Depending on the complexity of your case, you may need a lawyer to help manage it. You should absolutely get a lawyer if at any point you need to stand before a judge. It is rarely if ever a good idea to represent yourself.
Leading Causes of Workplace Injuries
The Bureau of Labor Statistics identifies the following industries as the most dangerous to work in (listed from most to least dangerous):
- Professional and business services
The most common cause of personal injury in these professions are motor vehicle accidents, slips and falls, and operating heavy machinery. There are many dangerous professions out there, but that doesn’t mean injuries are inevitable. If you or someone you know have been injured in a situation which could have been prevented had proper procedure been followed, you may have a strong claim.
- You have the right to see a doctor and get medical treatment when you need it.
- You have a right to some form of disability compensation if you are unable to return to work due to an injury.
- You have the right to be represented by a lawyer throughout the process.
- You have the right to file a claim for your personal injury in workers’ compensation court.
Protecting Workers Injured on the Job in New Jersey
If you have been injured on the job due to the negligence of your employer, you have the right to just compensation. When dealing with a complicated case or uncooperative employers, hiring an attorney is a useful way to help get the compensation you deserve. Hire Fredson Statmore Bitterman LLC to represent you in your work-related personal injury case. Schedule your free consultation today!